The site extends to approximately 24 hectares and was previously in agricultural use
Situated to the north of Craigs Road, the site occupies a prominent and accessible location within the West Edinburgh Strategic Development Area (SDA) which is identified by both the South East Scotland Strategic Development Plan and the Edinburgh Local Development Plan as a focus for the city’s growth.
The site is located within the green belt. A landscape assessment undertaken by the City of Edinburgh Council as part of the Edinburgh Green Belt Study (2008) described the ‘Cammo Fringe Farmland’ area within which the site is located as being “strongly influenced by housing and roads” and “of low intrinsic scenic quality”.
West Edinburgh is undergoing significant change as a result of major residential developments at Cammo to the north, West Craigs to the south, alongside major mixed-use development proposals at the International Business Gateway and Crosswinds.
West Craigs North benefits from a highly sustainable location:
- Served by direct pedestrian and cycle links;
- Conveniently located to frequent bus services and Edinburgh Gateway Station;
- Within easy walking distance of local schools, including the new Maybury Primary & Craigmount High School;
- Within easy walking distance of the proposed Maybury Health Centre, local shops and employment locations; and
- Adjacent to the Cammo Estate providing access to open space and opportunities for recreation.
West Craigs North benefits from all infrastructure necessary to support development – water supply, drainage, education capacity, electricity and telecoms are all either available or can be made available.